Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Important Videos - provide texts

I just answered a query on Linked-In's section Speakers - the questioner asking for advice on how to cope with possible technical failures.

1 Advance and afterwards, email giving your phone and email plus a one liner with tick boxes, so the viewer can contact you if they can't see the video. 2 Some feedback clicks to get replies eg 1 to 5 on how much they liked it. Plus comment box for if anything was missing (eg poor sound). Then you'll know if anybody/nobody saw it. And at what time the fault started. 3 Provide a text alternative to the video. Text version is helpful if sound fails. Some people speed-read and will turn off videos after a minute and never reach your punchline with your message, sales pitch and contact details. 4 Text alternative is useful anyway. I'm often in an open plan office and can't listen to videos which will disturb others. I try to avoid opening videos in case they turn into hectoring advertising messages. Especially if the video is obviously not related to my work which might annoy my co-workers, my boss - my employees - even the cleaner(s). In a public place, even an internet cafe, a no sound or no vision is often better than a video because when I'm in public places I'm wary of videos that embarrassingly suddenly promise loudly to improve my faults!

***
I also watched a video in which the speaker was constantly interrupted. Again the solution is to supply the text.


No comments: