Thursday, February 18, 2010

Best Table Topics at YMCA Toastmasters - Chocolates and Chinese New Year Oranges


I won the best Table Topic certificate at YMCA toastmasters Club of Singapore, presented with a chocolate and asked to talk about it.

I said, "Who likes chocolate? All of you? So do I.

Maybe that's why I'm overweight. I must do more exercise - or eat less.

I can't stop eating. (Rueful protest:) I'm not designed that way! (Laughter.)

So I must exercise more. But I don't have time for the gym. So this is what I do - and you can copy my method.

I use all my otherwise wasted time for exercise. I don't sit still or stand still; I move. Waiting for a train at the station.

If you see me raising my arms like this, or my elbows like this, or my knees like this, I'm not mad, I'm exercising.

Listening to your speech - if you see me rotating my wrists, or my ankles, I am listening to you, but I'm exercising.

I noticed that really thin people move all the time. If you say you'll fetch something from the other side of the room, before you finish your sentence, they've turned like this and raced off to get it. You just turn your head like somebody watching a tennis match. Thin people fidget. Copy them. Move all the time. The light's signalling me to stop. I'm off to exercise!"

(I then grasped the hand of the toastmaster to shake it up and down vigorously, saying, "One-two, one-two, one-two!")

I shared joint prize with a speaker who was given an orange. He described how Chinese New Year was the time when oranges are on the trees and you have to exchange oranges to pass on goodwill and share it - as we do at Toastmasters.

No comments: