Friday, January 8, 2010

Cafe Display pricing and consumer protection


If you follow my reviews on trustedplaces.com you will know what I am complaining about.

A display of patisserie shows the take away price. The eat in price is different.

At one place we were shocked and upset to get a bill which was higher than expected.

The manager came to explain and apologise. The eat in price was on the menu. But we hadn't been shown a menu.

I mentioned consumer rights and we were later offered a full refund. However, he who paid rejected this.

(He's not that poor - he can afford the price of what he ordered - but objects on principle being asked to pay more - son had hysterics when he heard this and said we should be writing comedy. I am.)

He who pays didn't even want the 'overcharge' - all he wanted was that they change the signage. (Me - I'd have taken the money!)
Mr Grumpy gets home and writes to head office. He is offered a voucher for a free meal which can be used here (we'll see if they change the sign) or at another restaurant. Yes, we will go back and try another one in the group.

It's a problem at many places I'm sure. Meanwhile, still upset, I go on line looking for the website of Trading Standards and then the Consumers' Association - I fill in a form - trying to avoid mentioning the actual cafe - I'm not the sort who goes to court or makes a fuss - but consumers association phone me up. They refer me to the Consumers' Protection Act of 2008. Interestingly this refers to three different kinds of problem. These include failure to mention extra charges. If you are interested, check it out yourself.

I shall attach a picture of another restaurant which has shown both prices. In my opinion this is how it should be done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's looking too. Where did you get free speech for your wedding occasion ? Its necessary for both the people either from bride & groom of course. Are you need in that?