Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Researching WWII records
   I have the notification of the death of Harry Godfrey at El Alamein in 1941 sent to his widow, my late mother. She had married him, I believe, in a register office near where he was stationed/trained before he was sent overseas. She was widowed within a year.


    I have no photo of him. She said after she received a black-edged telegram/letter, her father went to see his parents to tell them the bad news. They asked if she had any photos of him. She gave them all her photos. She told me, "I could get another husband but they could never get another son." I think he was in twenties, so his mother would have been in her forties or older, too old to have more children.  
    Searches online bring up dozens of young men called Godfrey, or Harry Godfrey. I would like to know more, even his birthdate would help. Are there any surviving blood relatives of his, such as a nephew or niece?
  My mother was his next of kin, but I am the child of her second marriage. Although I've inherited the documents and her memories of him, I think the RAF records offices data protection are not allowed to give me more details, nor put me in touch with other members of his family. If you can help I'd be grateful, and I thought that if you are also searching records, or simply curious about how it is done, here are my searches so far.
   A few years ago I phoned the Runnymede memorial and found out some details which I have mislaid. I seem to remember he was in his twenties when he died.
   Looking back at my document I found his service number:  906079. I had previously regarded this number as rather uninteresting. However, it is vital when you seek information.
   An online search in Feb 2014 revealed, to my surprise and delight, a reference to the name and number which popped up immediately with a link to Find a grave and he is mentioned at El Alamein.
  The Alamein Memorial website, by the CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) says he was in the 38 Squadron.

Useful WWII Sources
1 RAF Cranwell Disclosures, Lincolnshire.
Sends application form, but most information is only given out to next of kin for data protection. Admin fee you must pay is £30.
Application form will ask name of person whose details are sought and their RAF number if known and your relationship if next of kin, official organisation, whatever.

(No public visitors allowed. Small office within a camp can take up to 16 weeks replying to backlog of queries in date order of receipt of query.


Casualty Records
RAF Air Historical

2
RAF News, 100b Greenwood, Walters Ash, High Wycombe, Bucks HP14 4XW.
Tel:?
email?

3 Commonwealth War Graves

4 Forces United

5 British Legion

6 Find a Grave

7 Ancestry.com

(I'll update this with my further research or your aid so come back later to check this blog.

No comments: