Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Evening Primrose for perfumed evenings - a favourite fragrant flower

An eye-catching yellow flower in a friend's garden was evening primrose. It opens in the evening, between 7 and 9 pm, sometimes so fast you can almost watch it moving like time-lapse photography.



But here it is, bright and beautiful, after lunch, mid afternoon.

If you are out in your garden early, before lunch, you might spot a flower called Jack-go-to-bed at noon, also known as goat's beard. The scarlet pimpernel is said to open early and close between noon and 2 pm. 
You might like to read an amusing article Flowers to set your watch by online in the telegraph.
www.telegraph.co.uk/9391722/Flowers-to-set-your-watch-by.

Many British gardens close for the winter. But a few remain open, especially around the larger stately homes which welcome visitors all year. Check out the National Trust sites for opening hours. You can also look at flowers in Garden Centres. (See my post about Squires Garden Centres in my blog on travel.) 
Evening primrose oil is sold in health food shops, large stores,  pharmacies and supermarkets such as Boots and Tesco. 
If you've got a few seeds to spare, send some my way. I'm on the lookout for fragrant flowers. 
rhs.org.uk told me the heights of three kinds of evening primrose, asked whether I wanted annuals, biennials or perennials, did I want a garden centre to visit within one mile, ten miles, or further, or would I like mail order, and found me 11 mail order suppliers of fragrant evening primrose in the UK. The fragrant one is called oenothera biennia.

No comments: