Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Cobbler's Daughter Musical


Excellent musical The Cobbler's Daughter, the true story of the author's late wife, whose elder sister died in Auschwitz.
The author met his late wife when he was a soldier in Belgium just after liberation.
Music composed by the man who has led the Zwemel choir for many years.
I bought the book on which the music was based.
The performance started with an explanation of the leitmotifs in Jewish tunes from Fiddler on the Roof, Mahler and more.
It's currently more of a concert than a musical, all the singers and the author who reads poetry on stage throughout, no costumes nor props, as you can see from my picture.
I am looking forward to receiving news that the CD is available.
I read about the musical in a full page article in the Harrow Observer. I spoke to the author, who signed my copy of his book. His daughter told me that Watford Observer had also published an article.
Of the songs, my favourite was the one in French. It was a duet about a conversation the author had with the sister of his late wife when he first met her.
The songs were tuneful and mostly jolly, though a few at the beginning were sad.
I felt the final song should have been more rousing to create an impact. But the story, the songs, and the introduction to Jewish music were all fascinating. It was only on for one day in Hatch End. But it's been performed in Pinner and Swiss Cottage. If it comes round again, do go and see it.

No comments: