Friday, July 24, 2009

Etiquette and forks

Blog on forks and restaurant etiquette
I had a newsletter from restaurant-guide.com in which they referred to a radio report in which they said that somebody in Debenhams said they were selling more forks than knives. She thought that was a sign of sliding etiquette.

We were buying more forks - why?
Maybe
1 You can use a fork to go with a dessert spoon too.
2 You can eat some savoury foods with spoon and fork.
3 Spoon and fork can double as serving spoon and fork.
4 Americans eat with fork only.
5 A buffet with cut food requires only a fork.
6 The Chinese don’t allow knives at table (too dangerous).
7 Increasing amounts of meat is already cut up.
8 So are other foods.
9 Forks can be used to spear bits in tins and tubs.

The restaurant guide then recommended restaurants where you don't need cutlery.

To me cutlery is for convenience. It also saves you touching food too much with fingers. If you don't need a knife, it's still handy to have a fork for health reasons.

You can read more of my views on etiquette and restaurants.
I also wrote a book called Etiquette for every occasion. You might find it in your library or secondhand on the internet.
Anybody needing to commission a book, article, blog - or just to quote an expert - please contact me.
I have several thousand clicks on my restaurant reviews on trustedplaces.com

No comments: